Sunday, August 19, 2012

Oh My Papa

My sister Anne has been egging me on to write this story- tonight she gave me another nudge.There is nothing  sad about this story though, with my dad's recent passing. The reason she wants me to write it is because of something comical that happened at his graveside. I believe with all my heart that if you cannot have a good laugh about  things, even during the most serious incidents sometimes- it's just stress relief, and this is one of those times.

After the Memorial Service at the Church, we made our way to the Cemetery where my dads ashes were buried( My mom wanted to do in the Catholic tradition.)  As we sat down for the short service, a priest  from the Church spoke for a few minutes. Then a Parishoner jumped up ( who my kids had previously named "Grandpas Biggest Fan") for other reasons back at the Church, broke out singing- with no ones prompting of "Oh My Papa." Now a couple of things are interesting about this. One- my dad used to love this song.  There's no way this fellow knew this, other than the fact that we are Italian. Second, he knows about five verses, as  his voice gets louder and more boisterous with every word, droning on and on. I couldn't look at anyone or I would have  burst out laughing- very loud and out of control. So I chose to look straight inside his large, gaping mouth. It was open so big and wide, I thought I had gotten lost inside Moby Dick. I couldn't look at particular faces, especially anyone in my family.


At no time did anyone, including my mother ask him to sing, or  did he ask anyone in my family if we wanted "The Concert." I think that is what made it so funny. He was just giving his free Concert Summer Series. As if the Summer Concert Series were to come to an abrupt end....he broke into"O Sole Mio" right in my mom's face.  He was really ramped up by now, not ready for the Concert to end. He took that song for so many twists, turns and verses..... it seemed we were all in a time warp by the end, and made our getaway. He couldn't have been more jacked up. In all fairness he is a very sweet man, who was singing from his heart. It just was so surprising and truly unexpected!

When we got back to the Church Hall, he was kind enough to serenade my mom  and her table with some lively Broadway ShowTunes. I didn't get a look at her face. My dad was definitely having a good time watching the show.




No comments:

Post a Comment