Friday, February 14, 2014

Shorn Sheep

It seemed like such a smart thing to do at the time. All three of us could get in at the same time, must be heaven sent. My oldest sister's friend told her about some place in Hollywood or thereabouts where we could be hair models, get our hair cut for free. Didn't have to ask us twice. The thought of going to "Lee's," the lady my mom had been going to for years, and lets just say gave one fine mens cut on young ladies. She gave my mom's 'do  some giant bounce in the front. Her husband Ken used to snarl around when we walked in the door. Had himself one mighty hog parked out yonder. They had three boys that always looked like they were ready to start fires and do weird things to neighbors.
Working with curly hair is an art. Of course when it is wet your hair is straight. When that sucker starts drying, whoa- and if someone does not catch on how to cut that thing, double whoa for your mane. Well, this was some kind of fancy schmancy salon, we were in good hands.
So, back at this salon, it may have been something like Vidal Sasoon, we were going to look like movie stars, we couldn't wait to see. The oldest one goes first as the middle one and I sit and wait.  A little time passes and she comes out.  She is just standing there waiting to see what we thought of her new 'do. Middle one and I just stare and each other and don't say anything." Cute." As always in any other story I have told, my lip starts quivering and I feel a big laugh wanting to escape the premises. She looks at me like "don't even-  I will kick your ass so hard."  "No really, it's so cute." Now, nowhere has it dawned on me that I have to get my 'do done , by whoever did this "cute " job on her. It is in the shape of a bowl, with two sausage plopped on either  side. She came in with shoulder length brown hair. It was  now bleached some orange tinty looking yellow with so much hairspray veneered on it to prop the sausage curls for some spring. I can't contain myself. It is now my turn, and I am watching as my hair gets molded and sculpted into this flat plastered thing to my head. My hair is super wavy, and it is pushed into my skull in the most unattractive way, shorned closely with so  much hairspray. I knew I was going to hear "cute" next. The middle one eventually comes out. I can't even type right now reliving this story. She has a very wild fro on her, but hairsprayed and partially straightened.   I'm guessing someones arm got tired? The joy was in her expression. We all just stared at each other walking towards the door, all smiles when asked how we like our do's. "Oh yes, we like them very much, thank you". We were nothing if not polite. Lee's house was suddenly starting to looking very appealing. We got out into the parking lot, into the light of day.... and really got a gander.
At first we were so horrified, but then after calming down- we started laughing so hard we could not control ourselves. Good times :)




No comments:

Post a Comment