Friday, March 23, 2012

Looking Back

It's  very early morning as I am writing. I couldn't sleep, my brain would not turn down the volume, so here I am. doing the next best thing. It's around four-thirty, the cats and I are having our own party.
I think what got me all riled up was looking at photo albums last night. I brought many albums out from my closet and draped them all around me on my bedroom floor. Years flooded by me, my life, my family.
It was almost too much for some reason in those moments. I think because I finally understood where I came from, by looking back. The steps it took, the toil and labor... the sheer effort of all the steps.

One picture caught my eye in particular. It  was from eleven years ago. Just thinking about it brings a sadness to my heart.  I think because it is the true acknowledgement of what it has taken to get here today.
What I saw.... a very sad, overweight, depressed  person trying to figure out my life.

I think it is very important to be able to look back at ourselves, all the parts we have wanted to discard.
That very sad person- the one who was always me inside, who just got trapped and needed to find my way yet again. I was no less lovable for my pain, I just needed to heal and believe that I was worthy of love in one of my lowest states. As I am writing this, I am thinking what do I really want to express of myself to the reader?  Oh yes... we don't just arrive in our lives with a pretty bow on, and we are done.  It takes effort. Some make it look incredibly easy and some fake others out, how did they get there? It didn't look like any work at all. Those people,  I have learned,  are the ones who have usually worked the hardest.

Standing up for what we believe in along the way, finding your voice.
 Everything takes effort. Nothing is going to feel comfortable right off the bat. Saying" no," especially  women we are so conditioned to please and say" yes." It is on shaky legs to become the person you want to be. Through the years I fell more times, felt like moving backwards instead of forwards.
It  felt so imperfect, I judged myself so mercilessly. There were no maps to guide me, only my internal radar that didn't always serve me, due to fear and disbelief that I would not  be a good leader for myself.

I listened to the "experts" instead of me, the theorists, the ones who easily tell you how it is without the slightest clue. I fueled my body, mind and spirit with  negativity and fear  and crappy eating along the way out of desperation, holding on to the only past I knew.
Then something finally snapped. I wanted  different~ things started making sense, falling into place. This was definitely not overnight. Years in the making, actually. But I finally woke up.
I wanted more, I wanted to be whole. I would do whatever it took to get there. I had no idea what "there" was, but I was willing to go.

That started many years ago, and has and will continue until the day I die. Feeding my mind, body, spirit good thoughts, food, people.  LOVE. No longer punishing myself. When I am  surrounded by negativity, it is time to move on. My body feels this and reacts. Nothing is worth these miserable feelings anymore. I treat myself with the same respect I treat others. That was my biggest challenge.... ever.
Life is indeed what we make it. I would never have believed or have understood that many years ago. I was too invested in being a victim to my circumstances. I still get frustrated at times, want to be further up the road than I am. But then all I need to do is..... look back from where I have come.

5 comments:

  1. Life really is what we make of it! I so embrace that each day. My journey began 19 years ago and continues each day I wake up. You wonder where the tag "Grumps" came from don't ya?

    I was so energized by the visits with you and Ray this past weekend that I felt I was walking on a cloud after leaving SLO.

    This dark world needs more positive people who are spiritual in every way with the reflection of love to those they come in contact with. Having the character of love is everything.

    My belief is in Christianity and not in any organized religion dictated by man. When I realized this, I became free and my mind was opened.

    A favorite quote that has directed me in this journey comes from the message and is translated most eloquently...

    The Way of Love
    If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, "Jump," and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing. If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.

    Love never gives up.
    Love cares more for others than for self.
    Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.
    Love doesn't strut,
    Doesn't have a swelled head,
    Doesn't force itself on others,
    Isn't always "me first,"
    Doesn't fly off the handle,
    Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,
    Doesn't revel when others grovel,
    Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,
    Puts up with anything,
    Trusts God always,
    Always looks for the best,
    Never looks back,
    But keeps going to the end.

    Love never dies. Inspired speech will be over some day; praying in tongues will end; understanding will reach its limit. We know only a portion of the truth, and what we say about God is always incomplete. But when the Complete arrives, our incompleteness will be canceled.

    When I was an infant at my mother's breast, I gurgled and cooed like any infant. When I grew up, I left those infant ways for good.

    We don't yet see things clearly. We're squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won't be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We'll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he knows us!

    But for right now, until that completeness, we have three things to do to lead us toward that consummation: Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love.

    Thank you Clare for linking this to facebook... it made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,
    Thank you so much for your beautiful words. My heart is overflowing.
    I am beyond touched. You are the reason I write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. exactly what i needed to read.. thank you xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff as always. So good to see your insight. Thanks for sharing. Your buddy from Longden Ave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jimmy....
    Miss my buddy from Longden Ave. Always appreciate your love and support.

    ReplyDelete