Monday, May 3, 2010

Mothers Day For Him

I don't think I have ever realized what it has cost him. Every Holiday. Every time it comes near, his mood changes. He becomes more removed. I was too caught up in my own trip, to understand his complete and utter loss and dismay. He lost so much  early on, my beautiful dear sweet husband. I see him so strong, resilient a man. He is  easy going. He hides the scars so effortlessly from the past.
Yet they resurface like clockwork, Every Holiday. This is a double header. Not only is it Mother's Day,
his Mother's Birthday is in May. She died in April, when I was pregnant with our second child.

That was twenty one years ago, as we sat by her bedside in the hospital at Huntington Memorial.
As ridiculous as it sounds, I tried to hide my bulging stomach. I was seven months pregnant, and I didn't want to remind her, or my husband,  she wouldn't be around to see her second grandchild. It
 was a very strange sensation to be aware of life kicking inside me, as death was very close for my husbands Mother. I am profoundly sad as I write these words. I did not have a good relationship with my Mother-in-law.  Ever, but for one week in her life. She came home from the hospital the first time,
[she had lung cancer] and we stayed with her. I had just found out I was pregnant with our second child,
we had a three year old son,  and my husband had just started a new job. We camped out in her living room, I cooked and cleaned. At first it was very tense, because we had never been close.
But somehow we fell into a groove, a rhythm.  It was nice, a family for the first time.

The greatest compliment she ever paid me,  when she told me she felt like a child again. I would cook her favorite meals, tuck her in bed. She said it made her feel safe, just like when she was a little girl, with her mother. I can't tell you how I hold that in my heart to this day.  It really was a special week I will cherish forever. Finally I went home with our son, after a week, my husband stayed on another.   His relationship had long been strained through the years with his mother. The distance growing even wider, when she had became little a stronger. It wasn't that he wanted it that way for one second. Just the opposite. He longed  so desperately for his mother.  It just wasn't to be. So we got back into the rhythm of our life again, the best way we knew how. One step at a time.
We needed the distance. She wanted the closeness, yet so much damage had been done through
the years. It was hard to repair, especially when no real conversation was allowed to take place.  A lot of guilt and  uncomfortable feelings were still present, with nowhere to go. We would have loved for real intimacy.It wasn't going to happen. Pretending made it that much more heartbreaking in the light of day.

Months passed,  and  my Mother-In-Law went back into the hospital. It was around Easter time.
I watched my husband  go through so much turmoil. I had so little to offer at that time, my deepest regret.
He was so alone. I could not possibly understand, what I do today. I had nothing to offer.
I lacked maturity, insight, wisdom. More aloneness of his childhood he encountered, as he watched his Mother slip away. No words would he hear, even in her passing."Son, I am so proud of you. Thank you
for making my life so joyous." just the silence of life slipping away. Just as his Father had left without a word, more silence for this beautiful heart.  I didn't understand the toll.  I do now. Another silence in his life, as he  walked a long road, to the Funeral Home by himself, to pick out our baby's coffin. I did not share that silence either. He has had many silences I will never know.

I wish I could transport me of today ~ back then. Hold my Raymond. Overlook so much of his Mother's behaviors and understand, it was so much fear. Loss. That was her baby boy.  I wish I had the tools I have now, from Hospice, to say..... she's scared. Ignore her words. Look in her eyes. Hold her hand.
Say what it is you need to say. Don't wait to hear what you  need. Say it. You'll be surprised what comes out of that. Forgiveness is amazing.  It never looks the way we think it's supposed to.
Happy Mother's  Day Patricia Spencer. Thank you for the gift of your amazing son. I am sorry for
your  wounded heart. I didn't understand. Please forgive me for my impatience of youth.
I think we may have been friends. You have  some pretty incredible grandchildren. Im sure you are watching from wherever you are, up in those fluffy clouds. I wish you peace.

7 comments:

  1. Clare

    This is amazing - so honest and cleansing and real. As you wrote about your Ray I felt you were writing about my 'Skipp" ( my husband). I am glad Ray will read your wonderful words - I believe it will be a true gift to him this Mother's Day - a true gift, indeed. I am trembling.

    Love to you and peace this Mother's Day and always
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. As my aunt was dying in hospice she told myself and my mother she loved us-not a word we say to each other. I couldn't bring myself to say it back, even though I think it would have made us feel better. Death is so hard, I deal with it almost every day at work and I still don't know how to do it right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Gail. I appreciate your words. Looking at who I am, warts and all, is so freeing now. I couldn't be where I wasn't.
    I became better, through understanding and forgiveness.
    From myself, and my Ray. Love you, Clare

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Nurses Curse, your honesty is so refreshing to me.
    Death is hard. There is no right way.... I don't know what it is.
    Just get through the best we can. You are so courageous.
    To deal with it every day. What most of us can't even comprehend.
    I admire you more than I can put into words. Clare

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nurse Curse, Thank you for your beautiful words of honesty.
    So refreshing. I know what you mean. Death is hard.
    You deal with it every day. I don't know how to do it right,
    either. I just keep showing up for life. You are amazing, to do what most people could not comprehend. I admire you more than I can put in words. Clare

    ReplyDelete
  6. your gift to your mother in law is how much you love her son, time is not what is important in the scheme of things....... nor is regret. what matters to the spirit is the present, sweet one, and if life was designed for us to not grow, learn, or evolve, there simply would be no point.
    the knowing that you have NOW, will serve the World. and simply is.
    it will get bigger and clearer, and the looking back will matter much less than the current precious moments.
    thank you for sharing this lovely part of your journey, and you are so perfect, whole and complete, exactly as you are, doing everything that you do.
    and this I know for absolute certain.
    you are special.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb, thank you for your love and kindness.
    I love you. You are special to me. xo

    ReplyDelete