Saturday, December 5, 2009

You've Got A Friend

James Taylor, Cat Stevens. the list goes on and on. My childhood heroes, friends.
I could not understand the power and passion it inspired in me: Stevie Wonders' "Songs in the Key of Life".
My sisters and i got a record player for Christmas when I was in 9th grade. I heard "Loves in need of love today", and must have worn out the record.

I was too young to understand the true meaning coming from these deeply passionate artists. Yet I understood In my naive way so starved, hungry for something I could not yet name. but only feel with my heart. As Carly Simon cried out her pain, I felt it. Not yet in touch with my own pain yet.

What I realized just today, through the sage words of my husband;" These songs were your friends."
So true, and without hesitation I agree. James Taylor and Carole King comforted me to no end with "You've got a friend".

I tried desperately to be hip and like Led Zepplin. But Eagles and "Desperado" kept playing in my ear.
Of course it was with total teen drama. I had to slunk myself around. Who wouldn't listening to "Desperado"?
I was extremely dramatic, did you expect anything less?

I also secretly dug the Carpenters, and also went to a Bread concert. James Taylor was and always will be my boy, hands down. Second love, Kenny Loggins. What makes it better is he is a local. He grew up nearby. An unlikely love: Gordon Lightfoot. Exposed to him at a very young age, through the first hubby. At 17 started going to Gordon Lightfoot concerts. Very unhip to my friends. Funny thing is, Ray fell in love with Gordon Lightfoot. Thanks 1st hubby.

As I am writing, I am once again listening to "Songs in the Key of Life". I am traveling so far back in time. The Christmas we got our record player must have been 1976. It was so exciting getting that record player. Music has and always will be my first love. It is how I see the world. I think it was the key to my survival. I went so deep inside the music. It spoke to me. It held me. It allowed me to express what I did not even understand needed expression.
Then there was Queen. I was in heaven. Loud but rockin, my soul felt the beat. The pain, the sheer joy. Elton John and all his moods. His 70's music to me is the best. It kills me to hear some of it. There is the fun stuff, but his raw pain of finding who he was.That was the best.

"Saturn", from the Stevie Wonder album "Songs", I am only really absorbing. To really listen. That's what I am going
back and doing. With these songs I didn't understand before. Only felt. My ultimate song was from Cat Stevens
"Sad Lisa". I hung onto that song of sadness and was not giving it up. I think my pitbull jaws finally released that one by 40.

Songs, Music. Life. They weave such an intricate dance into our lives. Our memories, emotions.
We can recall an exact moment from 30 years before, or 10 minutes ago, when THAT song comes on.
It can take us to the highest of highs. Or break our hearts. All in an instant. A mere 3 minutes or so.

"American Pie" by Don Mclean just came on. What does it make you recall depending on your age? I wonder- 70's days or a remake Madonna did? My heart races faster BECAUSE I remember. So much more is coming back, the more I allow it.

Hearing my music again. Before I didn't understand. Now I am so grateful that they were all here for me.


My pals, James, Carly, Stevie, Kenny,Carole and all the others that gathered around and helped me grow up. Nurtured my soul, educated me. Calmed my fears. Taught me how to love. Their words led me to ME.

Thanks Don McClean, for" Starry Starry Night.'' It made me feel less alone. To be able to have the courage to write and be ME.

2 comments:

  1. Love This Music changed lives =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nic, it did. it made me who I am. The songs sat with me in the best and worst times. The music, the artists became my family.

    ReplyDelete