Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Home Made Veil

I emailed my sisters today laughing as though it were more than 30 years ago.
I couldn't control myself as the images became more vivid. I was no older than third grade, when veils were no longer en vogue in the Catholic Church. Now, that isn't what makes me laugh at all. That's just part of growing up Catholic. I did feel gypped that I did not get to rock in those wailing long black veils. Now those had some drama, some bounce. You could put those on your head and act very fancy covering your eyes, your entire face. Unfortunately, those rigs were for adults only. So I sported my mothers, parading around at home. Stylish in black, white, or your choice of ivory. I wanted the black, who's kidding who?

Not that the girls would ever forget their small, round black or white veils at home.
Maybe the younger one. She seemed to be a day dreamer. They covered the top of your head,
but had no zing like the Queen size version. I am still fixating on that big'un.
So we dutifully bobby-pinned those suckers to our skulls. Maybe someone else helped,
if they didn't stay in place. I'm not saying who might have not been tender and gentle as a lamb
putting those bobby-pins in. I'm just sayin.

There was an unfortunate day when at least one of these three lovely little lassies
would forget their veils. I know, say it ain't so. Alas, the three sissy's had one quick thinking mama. Oh no you didn't! Out of her purse, that had the most interesting things- always a
mint lifesaver stuck to a kleenex, that was a given. Well, out she pulled a kleenex to cover our bare non veiled head. Not an ordinary kleenex, but wrinkled with several lipstick marks covering it. If you were lucky, you didn't get the one she would say had just a little phlegm on it.

So, you can imagine our dilemma. The audacity of us forgetting our veil. I am pretty sure most mom's wrote that one off. Not ours. Where there was a will, there was a way. That wrinkled, red lipstick, phlegm-speckled kleenex sure did come in handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment